UNIC2020 International Student Summit On Climate
From July 6 to 9, 2020, Québec will host an international event on climate action, aimed at university
students (from all levels or recently graduated) from around the globe. This Summit will bring
together some 300 participants at Université Laval (Québec, Canada), all leaders committed to
their community, their country or internationally. Together, they will imagine concrete and innovative
solutions, for the planet and better societies.
● UniC2020 will provide selected participants with a unique opportunity for discussion and
workshops, all geared towards training, sharing innovative practices, networking and building
effective national and international collaborations.
● The objectives of the Summit :
1. Establish, through an international network, a community of practice bringing together
young university leaders to support climate-ˇengaged societies.
2. Share approaches, discuss innovative and concrete actions and promote their
3. Identify gaps in scientific knowledge on various climate change issues to establish
international research collaborations.
4. Exchange on the best practices of university communities in terms of sustainable
development, for contributions to climate action.
● UniC2020 will also foster university students' preparedness for their contribution to major world
events on issues relative to climate action.
● The programming of the Summit, well anchored in international discussions, is articulated
around five major dimensions of university student life: the student-ˇlearner, the student on
campus, the student-ˇresearcher, the student-ˇcitizen and the student-ˇworker / entrepreneur.
● Details will be available by early 2020 through major international networks. This will include a
global call for applications for students or graduates who wish to take part. The selection of
participants will be carried out from the perspective of inclusivity and diversity.
● As a key attraction element, UniC2020 will be the launchpad for the International Student
Climate Network, a distinctive collaborative tool that will foster specific initiatives, all focused
towards concrete actions with regards to climate. This unique Network, whose leaders and
participants will be mainly students from all academic levels, will also host various activities
(eg sharing platforms, online training, web conferences).
● Following this first edition, a UniC Summit will be held every two years, in collaboration with
partners around the globe. These events will be interwoven with the Network's activities and
initiatives, to facilitate dialogue and stimulate university student collaboration worldwide.
● The UniC2020 Summit demonstrates the leadership of Université Laval
(www.ulaval.ca/developpement-ˇdurable), Québec City (www.ville.quebec.qc.ca), Quebec
(www.quebec.ca) and Canada (www.canada.ca) regarding climate action.