FAQ – ASM2023
Frequently Asked Questions - ASM2023
- Who can attend? 350 people can attend ASM2023 in person. Priority goes to Iqaluit locals, Northerners, and ArcticNet funded researchers.
- Is the conference hybrid? Yes, the oral presentations, and panels featured at ASM2023 will be livestreamed. Participants can watch these livestreams at home by purchasing an online registration. The poster contest will also be completely virtual.
- When is the conference? ASM2023 will take place from December 5th-7th, 2023.
- Where is the conference? ASM2023 will take place at the Aqsarniit Hotel and Conference Centre, located in Iqaluit, Nunavut, Canada.
- What are the available accommodations? ArcticNet has three room blocks for ASM2023 at the Aqsarniit Hotel, the Frobisher Inn and the Discovery Inn. Once you register, you will receive a confirmation email with details on how to book accommodations at one of these hotels, including room block codes.
- When should I book my accommodation? It is recommended to wait until you are registered at the conference before reserving a room. As in person registration is limited, it is not guaranteed you will have a conference registration if you have a hotel registration.
- When should I purchase my airfare? We recommend purchasing your airfare as soon as you receive confirmation for your in-person registration at ASM2023.
- Is there a charter to Iqaluit? No, ArcticNet is not organizing a charter for attendees. It is your responsibility to reserve your travel arrangements.
- What is covered by my registration? In-person registration covers access to all panel discussions, oral presentations, cultural events, Early Career Northern Researcher (ECNR) day, 3 lunches, and 5 coffee breaks, and all virtual content, including the poster session. Online registration includes access to all livestreamed content and the poster session.
- Does in-person registration include a banquet ticket? No, your registration does not include a banquet ticket. Banquet tickets must be purchased separately.
- How much does registration cost? Check back shortly for more information on registration costs and how to register.
- Are there viewing rooms in Iqaluit to watch the livestreams? Yes. Check back shortly for more information on the viewing rooms.
- I am attending online – can I ask questions during presentations? Yes, you will be able to ask questions through the Q&A function on Zoom webinar.
- Is the conference open to the public? Yes, the conference is open to the public through registration for in person attendance, however only 350 registrants will be able to attend in person at the venue. There will be additional seating in viewing rooms in Iqaluit (see question #12). Anyone is welcome to attend virtually but must register for virtual attendance.
- Can I apply for a travel fund? You may be eligible for a travel fund. Check back soon for more information.
- Can my organization sponsor ASM2023? Yes! The prospectus will be online soon, but for more information on sponsorship opportunities, contact ArcticNet’s Communications and Events Officer, Erica Baird (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- I am on social media, what are the hashtags for this conference? Check back shortly for more information.
- What can I expect in terms of additional costs? Additional costs to expect include your accommodations, travel arrangements, and meals outside of the ones mentioned in Question #9.
- Can I get a taxi in Iqaluit? Yes, it is possible to get taxis in Iqaluit. Here are two options: Nunavut Caribou Tuktu Cabs: (867) 979-4444, Nunavut Taxi: (867) 979-7777
- Will there be shuttle buses between accommodations and the venue? Yes, ArcticNet will organize shuttle buses between certain accommodations and the Aqsarniit Hotel and Conference Centre. For more information on the pick-up/drop-off schedule and location, check back soon.
- Is there a call for sessions? As there are no concurrent sessions due to the size of the venue, there will not be a call for sessions.
- Is there a call for abstracts? Yes. For more information on the call for abstracts, click here.
- Can I submit an abstract? For more information on who can submit an abstract, click here.
- Is there a poster competition? Yes, our annual poster competition will run as usual, however it will be completely virtual. More information forthcoming on how to submit your poster.
- Is there an Early Career Northern Researcher (ECNR) day this year? Yes, there will be an ECNR day. Come back soon for more information.
- Are there plenaries? There will be three plenary-style discussions with a focus on Northern topics, developed by the Nunavut Local Planning Committee.
- Can I organize a side meeting? ArcticNet will not facilitate the bookings of side meetings. However, if you and your team are convening in Iqaluit for ASM2023 and hoping to host a meeting, you are free to gather and book accommodations at your own expense.
- Are there cultural events? Yes, there will be many cultural events planned in part by the Nunavut Local Planning Committee.
- Are there movie or documentary screenings? While none have been planned yet, we are open to hosting screenings. If you have a movie or documentary you are interested in screening, please contact ArcticNet’s Communications and Events Officer, Erica Baird (email@example.com).