ArcticNet Communications Assistant
COMMUNICATIONS ASSISTANT: Part-Time Student Opportunity
ArcticNet Inc. (Network of Centres of Excellence of Canada)
ArcticNet is a Network of Centres of Excellence of Canada that brings together more than 175 Arctic researchers, engineers and managers studying human health, natural and social sciences in the Arctic. With partners from Inuit organizations, northern communities, 35 Canadian universities, eight federal and 11 provincial government agencies, ArcticNet works collaboratively with international research teams throughout Denmark, Finland, France, Greenland, Japan, Norway, Poland, Russia, Spain, Sweden, the United Kingdom and the United States, to study the impacts of climate change and modernization in the Canadian North.
DESCRIPTION OF THE POSITION
Are you actively enrolled in a Canadian post-secondary program and passionate about science communication? Do you have experience working with digital communication tools, including social media and web? Are you an excellent communicator with sharp attention to detail?
ArcticNet is currently seeking a part-time Communications Assistant to support digital communications activities for an audience of researchers, stakeholders, and end-users across academia, government, industry, and northern communities in Canada and around the world.
Guided by ArcticNet’s Communications Strategy, ArcticNet communications aims to raise the visibility of the Network with partners, the research community and the public; communicate the value and impact of ArcticNet’s work to its funders and supporters; build relationships and partnerships between sectors, communities, industry and institutions; and, use storytelling to share the work of researchers, Highly-Qualified Personnel (HQP), staff, leadership, and community partners.
This position will bring you to work with an enthusiastic team of Arctic and northern community members, professionals, students and researchers, all with a vested interest in the North. Under the supervision of the Communications and Events Officer, the Communications Assistant will:
- Conduct social media management and media monitoring activities;
- Support the promotion of ArcticNet activities including Calls for Proposals (CFPs), workshops and events;
- Assist in developing, drafting, editing and maintaining communications for external digital platforms in French and English (and Indigenous dialects where appropriate): website, social media and newsletter;
- Develop graphics and other visual communications materials, including posters and social media posts following the ArcticNet Style Guide;
- Propose new digital communication campaigns, approaches and tools as appropriate to support the Network’s overall communications goals; and,
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Currently enrolled in a communications, marketing or relevant Canadian post-secondary program (political science, sciences etc.)
- Verbal and written ability in English
- Understanding of social media strategies
- Strong attention to detail, editing, time management and organization skills
- Proficiency in MS Office
- Knowledge of the Northern environment and its inhabitants
- Knowledge of science and of the university research environment
- Experience working in social media (Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn) and content management tools (Sprout Social, Mail Chimp, or others)
- Experience working with WordPress, or other web development programs
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud Applications (Specifically InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator) or experience with other graphic design software (Ex. Canva)
- Verbal and written ability in French
ArcticNet offices are located at Université Laval, Quebec City, Quebec and at the University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario. The selected candidate will report to the Ottawa office but this position can be entirely remote.
CONTRACT DETAILS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Part time: 15 hours/ week
- Rate: 20$/ hour
- 4-month contract renewable (in line with post-secondary terms)
- Position to be filled immediately
DEADLINE: February 17, 2022
Address a cover letter and your CV in one PDF to:
Communications and Events Officer, ArcticNet
In accordance with stipulated requirements regarding immigration in Canada, priority will be given to Canadian citizens as well as permanent residents of Canada.
ArcticNet is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.