2017 Amundsen Expedition
In 2017, the CCGS Amundsen departed its home port of Quebec six days ahead of schedule to support Canadian Coast Guard icebreaking and rescue operations in the Strait of Belle Isle and along the northeast coast of Newfoundland. Unfortunately, the conditions required much more extended support than anticipated, forcing the cancellation of the BaySys science program planned during the first segment of the 2017 expedition.
The scientific expedition, now reduced to 99 days in the Canadian Arctic, was officially launched on July 6 in support of ArcticNet's marine-based research program, the Nunavik Inuit Health Survey program, Sentinel North’s project and the Kitikmeot Marine Region project, a collaboration between ArcticNet, The W. Garfield Weston Foundation and Parks Canada. Based on the science objectives, the expedition has been divided into six segments:
- Leg 1 – BaySys-ArcticNet (31 May - 6 July) Quebec City to Churchill (Canceled)
- Leg 2a – BaySys-ArcticNet/Sentinel North (6 - 13 July) Churchill to Iqaluit
- Leg 2b – ArcticNet/The W. Garfield Weston Foundation (13 July - 17 August) Iqaluit to Puvirnituq
- Leg 3 – Nunavik Inuit Health Survey (17 August - 14 September) Puvirnituq to Kangiqsujuaq
- Leg 4a – Nunavik Inuit Health Survey (14 September – 6 October) Kangiqsujuaq to Kuujjuaq
- Leg 4b – ArcticNet (6 – 12 October) Kuujjuaq to Quebec City
The following research licenses were obtained for the 2017 ArcticNet expedition onboard the CCGS Amundsen:
- Nunavut Research Institute Scientific Research License # 0500717R-M (with amendments for ArcticNet rivers and shores projects and for the BaySys program);
- Department of Fisheries and Oceans license to fish for scientific purposes in the waters of Nunavut # S-17/18-1006-NU
- Aurora Research Institute Northwest Territories Scientific Research License # 16189;
- Department of Fisheries and Oceans license to fish for scientific purposes in the waters of the Northwest Territories # S-17/18-1006-NU.
- Vessel Clearance to conduct scientific work in Greenland waters. Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs file No 2017-27671;
- Government of Greenland Survey License # G17-029.